I did not mean for this turn into a food blog, but this smoothie, y’all! It has that tart, biting flavor of some of my favorite childhood treats, like Sour Patch Kids and ginger chews. The truth is, those flavors still get my tastebuds going, though I’m no longer a fan of eating sticky treats by the handful. This smoothie is the perfect substitute to fulfill all those sweet, lip-puckering cravings.
A whole lime and plenty of fresh ginger bring distinctive flavors, while sweet grapes and a ripe banana balance the tartness. (If you’re not a ginger person, feel free to leave out that ingredient.) Greens round out the produce list while making you feel all grown up for eating (okay, drinking) your veggies.
To make this sweet and sour delight, just gather the following ingredients and liquify in your favorite blender (I’m partial to this one).
- Two handfuls of spinach, green kale, or a mixture of the two
- One whole lime, peeled and quartered; remove the center pith to reduce bitterness
- One half of a ripe banana
- About one cup of sweet grapes (I used red globe grapes)
- One two-inch thumb of ginger, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup plain, unsweetened kefir, yogurt, or nondairy yogurt
- Nondairy milk to liquify, about ⅔ to 1 cup